12 Oct 2014

One more sleep...

It’s hard to believe, after planting the seed of an idea over 18 months ago, the eve of our great European adventure has finally arrived. We’ve spent the last month living full time in Dora and she’s well and truly feeling like home; good job really, seeing as this is it for a good while!
Following the lovely reunion weekend with my dad and step mum, we spent a fabulous as always, weekend in Skipton with Pete’s folks; I swear his dad uses us as an excuse to spend more time in the pub! And Powell has decided that ‘grandad’ is his new best friend because he gives him biscuits...

The following weekend, we had a long drive up to Durham to finally see Pete’s sister tie the knot. I cried buckets and we were so happy that we could share such a special day with them. Bro and sis in law, we wish you both all the happiness in the world!!

Our final pre trip weekend consisted of a night in Newark (we had a Gaslow system fitted and spent an obscene amount of money in Fatface!!) and a night in Mansfield with Pete and my sis (visiting my mum and step dad).

It’s been really lovely catching up with our families, as we’ve not seen a great deal of them having spent the last 6 years living in Germany. Although a little bit of me is sad to be leaving again after such a short time, the bigger part of me is looking forward to getting onto the open road.

Today we took a 150 mile drive down to Essex and are now camped out in a lovely campsite in Kelvedon Hatch, near Chelmsford; our final stopover on British soil for some time. We’ll leave here tomorrow morning and drive the final 70 miles to Folkestone, where we’ll catch the Eurotunnel across to Calais and the fun really starts.

Well, it’s raining outside, the internet is limited and the bar (fridge) opens early on Sundays...I think I might just have to pour a glass of wine and practice my French seeing as France is our destination tomorrow....Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment