4 Jan 2015

Post Op Pete

Happy New Year!!!

Well, as I’m out of hospital and as I'm not allowed to much at all I figured it was my overdue turn to update the blog.

After the unfortunate but expected delay in surgery I spent New Years Eve in my ward. Thankfully I had my 12 grapes to look forward to at midnight. As Powell is petrified of fireworks (and any other ‘strange’ noises) Sue stayed home with him leaving me in peace and quiet for my last night in hospital. If you’ve not seen the procedure via Sue’s FB link and are interested in what was done, here’s a link to it on YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsU3KX_-4nA  CAUTION- DON’T WATCH IF YOU’RE SQUEMISH!!  I'm always amazed by medical science and it interested me to see how the repair was undertaken.

On New Year’s day the nurses returned with more needles to take more blood etc. Once they were satisfied that I was fit enough to leave, the surgeon who performed my fix visited. He gave me the lowdown on what happens next etc and said I could go home -which was great news for all of us.
So lunchtime on 1 Jan 2014 I returned home to Sue and Powell, complete once again. Sue and I agreed that a haircut was overdue and she set about me with the scissors......


Before...
After!

Without too many details the last few days have been tiring for Sue as she’s been mothering me, walking Powell and sleeping no better than me. She’s tough and I love her. I’ve been annoying her by wanting to do things. She wants me to do nothing so I can heal faster; I want to prove I’m not completely useless. We’ve had a dig out today though and I’m getting better quickly.
After a “too long” walk with Powell this afternoon I spent some time inspecting my bike to get an idea of the damage done. After realising I couldn’t fix a bit or two I started shopping on Amazon for the bits I need to fix the damage:

               New brake lever and bleeding kit - £45
               New ‘dropper post’ remote button kit £40
               Postage to the campsite here £25 (shocking!)

                                             ...I thought it would cost more. I’m due to have the cast removed around the same time as delivery is expected, so all’s well that ends well ;-)

Yesterday saw us return to Ronda town after 7 years. We’re not sure how much the place has changed as we don’t remember too much but the town welcomed us as an old friend. Much of it was familiar including a shop or two where we bought Gazpacho bowls and other tourist bits last time around. We were only meant to be going to the chemist for pain killers and to the supermarket for supplies but with Powell in tow we ended up being out for most of the afternoon. We were reminded again though why we tend to avoid touristy places, they’re always busy, particularly in holidays but more so on Saturday to boot...lesson learned.

Well it’s now Sunday 4 Jan 2014 and I have 5 days left with the pot on my arm. That means, I think, that I’ll not be allowed to do much until next weekend, bar walking Powell and updating the blog. I hope we manage a walk or two in the next few days as there are only so many times I can type “Powell ate another olive today and tried to chase a cat”................Thank you Sue for looking after me, and sorry for being a pain.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are on the mend and the bike repair is not to expensive.
    With that short hair you should be able to go faster on the bike, the old wig you had before must have been a windbreak..

    Happy New Year to you both and I look forward to the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy N-Y to you too, and t'anks.

    I had a stupid helmet on when i came off so the Boof-Brake was ineffective, shame. At least I know my brakes are excellent....

    We hope to make the most of the Truckport you're trying to sell us this year too, keep an eye on the "Our route" tab to see when we're close. We're still undecided whether to do Scandinavia this year or next but when we do we'll be sure to take a 'via'.

    Take care bud.

    ReplyDelete